Saturday 14 January 2012

New mystery hardware

Today, I built some new hardware... I won't tell you just yet, because I'm sure you can guess what this is going to be from the PCB. You'll also notice that I plonked the image down too close to the edge leaving a very nasty trace which I had to patch up later. When I was designing this is all looked really tiny, so I left lots of space between all the components that I certainly don't think I actually needed as the board looks very empty...
pcb ps2 keyboard adapter

If you're still guessing, here's a hint. It uses this circuit twice...

Here's a nice "arty" shot of the board, and if you haven't guessed already, you'll see the header now has a keyboard socket plugged into it (taken from an old PC which very handily just had a 5-pin header on the motherboard that this plugged into):
ps2 keyboard adapter

All in all, I'm pretty happy with this. There's a few spurious issues - on reset you quite often get a few seconds of random keypresses and occasionally key make/break scancodes are missed resulting in missed or repeated keypresses. But it's close and was pretty fun to do some soldering again!

And here's the obligatory youtube video... :)

No comments: